|One of seven public libraries
funded by Colton native, A. Barton Hepburn, the Hepburn Library
of Colton is easily identified when approaching the town
by its beautiful stone exterior.
Once inside, that beauty surrounds the
Library Director, Dennis Eickhoff,
assisting library patron.
The library, constructed
in 1912, began serving the public in 1913. Library director and local
historian, Dennis Eickhoff, enthusiastically shares his wealth of knowledge
about the library, its history and its many resources.
The building displays gorgeous woodwork
that follows a similar design throughout. The chairs in the children‘s
room are miniatures of the adult seating; the pattern in the table legs
matches the window frames, mantels and columns. This creates a very balanced,
pleasing environment. In recent years, the building has undergone major
renovations including the expansion of library resources to the basement
level, the creation of a YA section, the installation of an elevator and
the removal of a dropped ceiling in favor of an arched ceiling with attractive
lighting in the center portion of the library.
The library helps to preserve the history
of the region. The oldest known map of Colton, created in 1820, hangs on
a wall near the circulation desk. The St. Lawrence Valley Genealogical
Society houses their collection there. Yearbooks and scrapbooks for each
class year at Colton-Pierrepont High School are available in the reference
section. Alumni cards are maintained to assist those researching local
The library welcomes everyone and has
allocated space and resources to attract every age group. As one patron
put it, "This library is always so welcoming. Dennis does a beautiful job.“
He does and it shows.